Why Dance Classes?
Why is it important that your child develop their creativity and experience arts such as dance? Those students who receive a strong arts education, such as dance, are:
- 4 times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement
- 3 times more likely to be elected to class office
- 4 times more likely to participate in a math and science fair
- 3 times more likely to win an award for school attendance
- 4 times more likely to win an award for writing an essay or poem
(Source: Dr. Shirley Bruce Heath, Stanford University for the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, Reprinted from American for the Arts.)
A strong foundation in creativity benefits any career path. Businesses today are looking for:
- The ability to work as part of a team
- The ability to manage and pick teams well
- The ability to effectively communicate
- The ability to adapt to changing situations
- The ability to read people effectively
In addition, young artists compared with their peers are likely to:
- Read for pleasure nearly twice as often
- Participate in youth groups four times as frequently
- Perform community service nearly twice as often
According to the U.S. Department of Labor (1991) the arts not only develop all of the skills listed above but they also develop the ability to identify the more important data, synthesize it and use it in a positive way within a quickly changing environment.
By enrolling your child in dance classes you are helping to develop his or her creative potential.
(Source: California Alliance for Arts Education)